Thursday, January 20, 2011

Led Zeppelin drummers son recalls nasty run in between his father and Sting

One of the last things Jason Bonham, son of late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, remembers his dad saying to him was, "You're going to get into the drums again, aren't you?"

A teenager utterly obsessed with motocross racing and about to sign a professional contract, the younger Bonham had other plans for his future. It was only after his father's untimely death that he began to follow in his footsteps.

"I lost him when he was my idol, and he still is," Bonham, whose Led Zeppelin Experience band finished touring North America last month, tells Spinner.

Although deep into other hobbies in his adolescent years, Bonham had been playing the drums since he was young but wasn't too fond of music until a year or two before his father's passing. However, he still recalls times spent going to see his favourite bands of the time with his dad.

"He took me to see the Police when they had just done a second album, so they were still quite fresh. I thought Sting was the coolest thing in the world," Bonham recalls.

"He managed to get me backstage and he threatened to punch Sting. It was hilarious. Dad stepped on his foot and he [Sting] was very cocky back then. He was the new young frontman and had that punk kind of attitude. Dad was probably a dinosaur to him, even at 32. I remember him saying, 'Hey man, don't step on my blue suede shoes.' My dad said, 'I'll step on your f---ing head in a minute.'"

Bonham and his other musical project Black Country Communion released their self-titled debut LP last September, however this past tour playing Zeppelin songs alongside guitarist Tony Catania, bassist Michael Devin, keyboardist Stephen LeBlanc and vocalist James Dylan saw him, as he says, "playing better than I've ever played in my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment