Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Rob Zombie says White Zombie will never reunite.


In two separate and wide ranging interviews with the RockAAA and The Pulse of Radio Rob Zombie discusses the possibility of a White Zombie reunion:

I don't see the point. I think as with most things people have a memory of something like, 'I saw them when I was 14 years old and it was the greatest thing ever, but if they saw us now they'd probably go 'I wish I hadn't see that reunion, it was awful.'

This revelation no doubt will come as a disappointment to long time fans who have hoped someday for some kind of reconciliation. We have seen the solo Zombie become more about his trendy commercial solo material and the hyper visual live performances and much less about the great songs he played in White Zombie. Rob doesn't see it that way and defends his thinking:

The crowds are really, really young and I've been noticing that with the set list too, because you know, as time has gone on, we've really worked the White Zombie material more out of the set, because we've been finding that it's not working like it used to,” and “It seems like that those songs just seem now old to people and it's very strange.”

Rob might be surprised to find out that catering to his young fans has earned him a new audience and respect from them, his older fans might disagree about the quality of the material. When questioned about the history of the band as detailed in Sean Yseult's book “I'm In The Band”, Rob was nonplussed:

I have not seen it (her book) so I can't comment. I can barely remember those days, so I'm glad somebody can.”

On Sean's assertion that the departure of Ivan DePrume led to the eventual split:

Everybody likes to make up stories which aren't true. I don't think that's fair. Ivan left the band, John Tempesta came in and the band sounded better than ever, we kept playing and made bigger records and did more tours so I don't see how that had anything to do with it.”.


For those who haven't seen it, Sean's book is an amazing document of the history of the band and a great read for fans unsatisfied with Rob's version of events. Not strictly a memoir, it is also full of never before seen photos, stories from other band members and all manner of memorabilia that Sean saved from her time in the group. It is further proof that White Zombie was a great band for the times and the fact that its legacy is being killed off nightly is very sad for metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment